Saturday, November 20, 2004

    Consumer Power

    Remember the days when you had a limited choice when you played your consumer role? There were not so many stores you could go to if you wanted to shop around - of course this depended whether you were a city or rural entity. The Sears and Wards and JC Penny giants of the time ruled. Some have survived others have not. I do miss those Christmas catalogs don't you?

    I love having the internet to shop around. For my consulting business most of my purchases are either investigated over the net or (usually) purchased in the same manner. I do find that I still go to stores - especially bookstores - and peruse the selections, usually to see if there is something pertaining to whatever my current assignment is. If I do find a book or two I'll go to the information desk and politely asked if I can use a pen and one of their displayed business cards. I'll then jot on the back of the card the book title and usually an author name. Of course I return the pen and with a smile thank them. This card gets revisited when I get back to my computer and access Amazon or BN online - whoever has the better deal - a combined algorithm of base price + shipping cost (if any).

    Some would argue I'm wrong not to support the local business, others I'm just finding the better deal. I simply feel empowered over the merchants!

    No comments: